Choosing the Best Bankruptcy Lawyer
Top bankruptcy attorney serving clients in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and Long Island
You have probably come to this web page knowing that you need the help of an attorney to file a bankruptcy petition for you or your business. But just in case you might be thinking that you can do it yourself without an attorney, consider the advice of the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts on behalf of the Federal Judiciary:
“Corporations and partnerships must have an attorney to file a bankruptcy case. Individuals, however, may represent themselves in bankruptcy court. While individuals can file a bankruptcy case without an attorney or “pro se,” it is extremely difficult to do it successfully. It is very important that a bankruptcy case be filed and handled correctly. The rules are very technical, and a misstep may affect a debtor’s rights. For example, a debtor whose case is dismissed for failure to file a required document, such as a credit counseling certificate, may lose the right to file another case or lose protections in a later case, including the benefit of the automatic stay. Bankruptcy has long-term financial and legal consequences — hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended.”
Top five considerations when hiring a bankruptcy attorney
- Law firm practice areas — Many law firms offer bankruptcy services. But often bankruptcy is just one among many legal practice areas offered by the firm. If your legal needs are bankruptcy or alternatives to bankruptcy, why choose a law firm whose expertise is divided among practice areas that are irrelevant to your needs? Instead, choose a law firm whose primary focus, or better yet, whose exclusive focus is bankruptcy and bankruptcy alternatives.
- Bankruptcy experience and expertise — To best meet your needs, a top bankruptcy lawyer must not only have many years of experience, but must also be current with both federal and New York State bankruptcy laws. Law is made not only by legislators and documented in the federal Bankruptcy Code and New York statutes, but law is also made by judicial rulings and documented in reported case opinions. It is important to choose an attorney who is both experienced and knowledgeable.
- Top reputation among peers — Other bankruptcy attorneys recognize the best bankruptcy attorneys. Look for a lawyer to represent you who is top rated by his or her peers. Three reliable indicators are attorneys who are recognized as AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, listed in Super Lawyers and listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™.
- Lowest price is attractive, but — will you get the best service? Let’s face it, you or your company are in financial distress, so a low-cost attorney might seem to be the best bankruptcy attorney. Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and Long Island consumers and business know, however, that a low cost lawyer may cost more in the long run if that attorney does not devote the time to fully develop a bankruptcy petition (or give due consideration to alternatives to avoid bankruptcy). Do not choose your attorney based on price; seek the best attorney to provide you with quality service.
- Location, location, location? — Surely you will need to meet with your bankruptcy attorney, so an office location convenient to public transportation and parking garages is a plus. However keep this consideration in perspective, since much of the interaction with your bankruptcy attorney does not require in office meetings as email, fax, and telephone calls are sufficient most of the time.
Speak to a top bankruptcy lawyer
Contact the Law Office of Gregory Messer online or at 718-717-2368 to schedule a free initial consultation. Our office is located across the street from the U.S. District Bankruptcy Court in Brooklyn and is close to the Borough Hall and Court Street subway stations. We serve residents throughout Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and Long Island.
To ensure every client’s filing receives the attention it deserves, we are an appointment-only law firm with flexible hours adjustable to fit your needs.